Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Rooftops

Let me let you in on a little secret.

I've been struggling with this whole blogging thing for the past couple of months.  Thoughts have sashayed through my mind disguised as sagacity suggesting that if it’s that difficult, maybe I just shouldn’t do it.  It didn’t take long for the names of several people in history who thankfully ignored similar rationale to pop up in my head. While I shooed away the idea of scrapping it, I did see the necessity in giving "Why am I doing this?" some substantial consideration.  

The simple truth is God gave me a voice and I am obliged to use it.  Alright, that was settled.  My next question that needed an answer was “What are you supposed to say in a blog with that voice of yours?” Well, I could write about the joys and challenges of being a mom of a child on the autism spectrum.  Maybe I could share handy behavior management tips for teachers.  I could even write about clever ways to maneuver around the Internet purposefully.  Someone would read them...if only my first cousin in South Louisiana.  So why write about the life-transforming power of a vibrant and intimate relationship with Him?

It's the only thing I am absolutely convinced of.

The Lord encouraged me yesterday with this verse from Isaiah 55:11 – "It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it."

Whew! That takes the pressure off me to make this blog successful.  He sent me to proclaim His goodness through this means.  Of that I’m sure.  Because I know He's sending this word out, it has no other recourse but to do what He wants it to do …encourage you.

The name of this blog comes from a song I now consider my anthem, "Rooftops" by Jesus Culture.  The first time I heard it I was shaken...Every word in the lyrics radiated the truth from my heart toward the Lord.  Of course, most songs that declare how I belong to Him usually resonate more deeply in me than others (spoiler alert: subject of an upcoming post). I've added the video of this song below.  If you have a few moments to listen, you won't be sorry.

For those of you that are new readers to my blog, I hope this helps explain why I've set up shop on this end of the blogosphere.  I'd be delighted if you'd come back and visit often.  For those who are returning readers, thank you.  From the bottom of my heart, thank you for your patience with me as I sift through motives and stir up motivation for continuing what I'm convinced is part of God's will for me.  It’s that joy of knowing Him and being known by Him that compels me to shout it from the rooftops.